Tuesday 16 September 2014

Self representation

Self representation:

I would say that my style (in terms of clothing) is fashionable and up-to-date, however I do not religiously follow trends, and prefer to rely on my own tastes when it comes to deciding what to wear. Saying this though, I still enjoy researching (either from blogs I follow, or magazines I read) recent and upcoming fashions. More often than not, I will choose to wear clothing which is flattering, rather than trendy. I would rather be overdressed than underdressed. 

"You can never be overdressed or overeducated" - Oscar Wilde.


I would say that my appearance accurately displays my age, and you could say class, as although I tend not to buy designer garments, I like to think I am usually reasonably well dressed. Therefore, you could argue that I look middle-class.



Although I was born in Leicester city, and lived there for the first seven years of my life, I believe that I speak with a 'Midlands' accent - but do not sound specific to Leicester itself. Both my parents are fairly well spoken, and as I lived in Cambridge between the ages of seven and eleven, I picked up a regional accent from that area - such as pronouncing words like 'bath' as 'barth'. Although I am not in the habit of pronouncing my 'a's like that now, I like to think I still hold the principles of pronouncing my words correctly.


Growing up in Leicester meant that I was surrounded by a vast amount of diversity, in terms of ethnicity and religion. Although I am White British, and do not follow a religion, I find other religions and traditions fascinating and believe that there is something to be taken from each of them, and valuable lessons can be learnt from each of them. I particularly used to enjoy celebrating Diwali when I lived in the city centre, as many beautiful (and tasty) traditions follow this celebration.



No comments:

Post a Comment